• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Nader_xx

Nader_xx

Advanced Member

• Founder
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNavarre FL. USA
if any one can help me . i have a laptop with win7  and one with xp .i installed the virtualbox program on win 7 and now need to image or clone my xp hard drive and installit into the virtualbox.if you can help please let me know .i need this for work asap.  THANKS

Nader_xx

Nader_xx

Advanced Member

• Founder
  • 130 posts
https://www.virtualbox.org/ ,  http://www.ehow.com/...ualbox.html,and http://clonezilla.org/

Ramstik

Ramstik

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
The only issue with VirtualBox is that it uses a fun hard drive storage method called .vbhd, and because of this, you can't mount it externally.

PLEASE READ ALL THE STEPS FIRST. YOU WILL NOT ENCOUNTER DATA LOSS ON THE SOURCE DRIVE, BUT THIS IS AN EXACT SEQUENCE AND NEEDS TO BE KNOWN! PLEASE DO NOT RUSH THIS!!

There is a method you could do that would require you to set up two virtual machines in VirtualBox. Basically the procedure would be:

1. Setup a WIndows XP virtual machine with desired preferences. Make it boot. Shut down the VM.

2. Setup a WIndows 7 VM in VirtualBox. Just make it boot, all we need is the VirtualBox drivers and the command prompt for this one. Shut it down and mount the Windows XP VM hard disk file as a slave drive to the Windows 7 VM's preferences. Boot up the Windows 7 VM, make sure it boots W7, and ensure that the XP VM hard drive is recognized as a slave drive!

3. Make sure you have administrative control over the WIndows XP VM drive from WITHIN the WIndows 7 VM. **WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT REFORMAT THE XP VM HDD!**

4. Using the W7 VM, erase the entire contents of the XP VM HDD.

5. In the windows 7 VM, Open command prompt with admin elevation. Click Start, type 'cmd', then right click the 'cmd' file and open as administrator.

6. Pull the hard drive out of your XP laptop and connect it to the Windows 7 laptop, and then make the Windows 7 Virtual Machine mount it. Make sure it's recognized in the OS.

Let's assume the Windows XP VM HDD in the W7 VM is labeled with 'E:'
and the REAL XP drive is labeled with 'F:'

7. In the Command Prompt, type this:
xcopy f: e: /E /V /C /F /H /K /O

This command will xopy each and every single file, including its properties, ownership, attributes, VERIFY all file copies, copy hidden and system files,  and it will show you each file that's copied. It will also keep copying if there is an error, but it will show you what it is.

8. Wait.

9. When it's done, kill the Windows 7 VM, make sure that the newly-copied XP VM HDD is attached to the XP VM, and then boot it.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
\\Ramstik

Nader_xx

Nader_xx

Advanced Member

• Founder
  • 130 posts
i need to talk.l one on one in ts with you soon, THANKS Ramstik !!!!!

Ramstik

Ramstik

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Let me know. Send me a text sometime when you're available. 707-301-7841
\\Ramstik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users