10 replies to this topic

MotherMan

MotherMan

Yo-Yo Yolo Club President

• Founder
  • 1,462 posts
  • Battlelog:http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/MotherManX/
  • LocationNew York, New York
So I am a little bit computer illiterate so will need some help diagnosing and solving a problem I am having.

At random times (gaming, online, idle) the monitor will kick to black and then my GPU fan will go up to full speed. At that point I cant do nothing and have to reboot and it starts up as if nothing happened.

I have had this computer for 3+ years now and this is a brand new problem. I just updated the drivers so maybe that will solve the problem, I hope.

Any ideas on what could be happening?
Posted Image

Mace

Mace

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Battlelog:Mace-USA
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
I would first recommend installing CPUID HWMonitor to keep an eye on voltages and temperature of your GPU.
http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Second, you could try using a software fan controller like EVGA PrecisionX to help with possible overheating issues.
http://www.techspot....recision-x.html

Have you checked to see how dusty your computer is?

Posted Image

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ
Give me a full list of your PC specs and the version of the driver you installed and the one before you updated.

NEMISIS

NEMISIS

Advanced Member

• 102 posts
  • LocationThe ussual place.
I recommend the following.

Monitor your temps.

If you have an nvidia based card 200 series or better the EVGA precision X will work with it no matter who made your card.
Grab that.

If you have ATI based then you will have a CCC interface that will do the the same thing.

Make sure of the following.

GPU card is clear of dust. Fan intake and exhaust free of dust and restrictions.
GPU card is fully seated and the card is screwed to the frame of the pc.
Make sure that the video cable is fully seated and if available screwed in place.

You don't mention your if your output is vga/dvi/hdmi/ or what ever so I assumed vga or dvi.

Make sure the connection to the monitor is solid as well.

Also make sure that it is the computer and not the monitor.

I have 2 dead monitors that acted like this just prior to failing.

DisMeMbeR

DisMeMbeR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIdaho

View PostNEMISIS, on 08 November 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

I recommend the following.

Monitor your temps.

If you have an nvidia based card 200 series or better the EVGA precision X will work with it no matter who made your card.
Grab that.

If you have ATI based then you will have a CCC interface that will do the the same thing.

Make sure of the following.

GPU card is clear of dust. Fan intake and exhaust free of dust and restrictions.
GPU card is fully seated and the card is screwed to the frame of the pc.
Make sure that the video cable is fully seated and if available screwed in place.

You don't mention your if your output is vga/dvi/hdmi/ or what ever so I assumed vga or dvi.

Make sure the connection to the monitor is solid as well.

Also make sure that it is the computer and not the monitor.

I have 2 dead monitors that acted like this just prior to failing.

i had the same thing happen with an LG monitor. it would work but then it would flicker and go black. rebooting make it work again.
Dip Dip potato chip
Posted Image

ebough

ebough

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN
Sounds to me like an overheating issue. Make sure your fans are clear of dust and such. Your cooling units may need reseated as well...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

MotherMan

MotherMan

Yo-Yo Yolo Club President

• Founder
  • 1,462 posts
  • Battlelog:http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/MotherManX/
  • LocationNew York, New York
Thanks for input so far everyone.

Crashed again tonight even after new driver.

I dont know about overheating. Especially since I am not putting any load on it sometimes when this happens. I did clean it out a little, but as far as dust levels goes it really was not that bad, nothing more than a basic layer. I pulled out the video card tonight and it was still very cool to the touch. I reinserted and made sure the cables were in right. I am actually using an HDMI cable Nem.

here is a parts list in my rig:

MotherManBoard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P  
CPU: Intel I5 2600K 3.30Ghz
GSkill Sniper DDR3 4GbX2
EVGA GTX570 -- Driver 344.60
PSU: Enermax NAXN 750Watt

Update on temps: Played 45 minutes of Skyrim - GPU temp around 60c
Posted Image

Ceathor

Ceathor

Advanced Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Battlelog:CeathorC
  • LocationOslo, Norway
Since it's more than 3 years old, it might simply be the GPU starting to give up on you. Hopefully not though.

Posted Image

Meeting in person is defined as AFK, not IRL. The internet is real.

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ
I have reason to believe the PSU is crapping out on you, but I could be wrong. There is also a possibility of your ram going bad for whatever reason.

vonhills

vonhills

King Hillbilly

• 111 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ky
I kind of had a problem like that be for my PSU went out. I going to go with Psycho on this about the PSU. But it could be a number of things. If it gets to the point where the screen stays black and looks like everything is running then I would get a new PSU. Thats what i had to do any ways.

Awake

Awake

Advanced Member

• Board
  • 725 posts
couple thing's you can do to narrow your issue down...
1. monitor cpu temps
2. do a mem test

if none of these show you an issue I have a couple question's
do you have a watercooler?
what type  psu are you running
i had these problems i the past and the mb eventually died due to an overheating chipset which fried the bios.
so that brings me to ask you to check the chipset cooler make sure it is clean and running the proper speed
for that board. chipset should not run above 65c max if it is you have an issue,
one last question..... have you overclocked anything at all ?  like memory voltage etc ?
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users