Help, external hard drive format

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Spectre_Nick

Spectre_Nick

Advanced Member

• 72 posts
  • LocationFlorida
I tried to format a Seagate FreeAgent Pro, 300GB, and something messed up with the format because it said it failed. It will not show up in the My Computer list, but it does show in the devices connected list. It says it has an up to date driver, but there are no volumes or anything listed on the device properties. Please help.

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ
Goto control panel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > Wait for a window to pop up > click on storage > Disk management

See if your device is listed there, if it is you can try to play around with the various right click options and see if you can fix it from there.

Garrett

Garrett

Resident Ginger

• Friend of LKG
  • 218 posts

View PostPsycho29388, on 02 April 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Goto control panel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > Wait for a window to pop up > click on storage > Disk management

See if your device is listed there,

Go ahead and follow Psycho's advice.

But if it does not work and the drive does not show up, use this tool to create an NTFS partition on the drive.

In most cases it will work how Psycho said, but if it does not, that means it is just empty space or something of the like and you need to create the filesystem and a partition.
"There once was a boy named brown, he ran at a cop with a frown. Six bullets later, he met his creator, then his homies burnt down the town."

Ramstik

Ramstik

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
If any of this confuses you, get with me on Teamspeak and I'll use teamviewer to get you set up.
\\Ramstik

Spectre_Nick

Spectre_Nick

Advanced Member

• 72 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Thanks everyone for the help. I did get a bit confused, but Ramstick helped me out by taking over my computer. I owe him a shout out that I did not get today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users