• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Revellan7

Revellan7

Advanced Member

• 56 posts
  • Battlelog:Revellan7
  • LocationColorado
Haven't built a pc in a while, so I thought I would ask; what are the advantages of  Nvidia or Radeon cards? If any, or if its just a matter of finding the best deal, and jumping on it.

Also interested in the same topic concerning Intel and AMD cpu's.

I will be building a dedicated gaming desktop, and would appreciate any logic and or details on the topics.

Thanks,
Revellan7

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ
AMD has cheaper cards for the most part, but they cannot make drivers worth shit.

Nvidia has great drivers and cards, generally more expensive but better in the long run. However, when they fuck up drivers, they fuck up BIGTIME and they could possibly kill your card.

AMD Cards are better than Nvidia cards in some games and vice versa. AMD should be better for BF4 in the future due to the new Mantle API that is going to be released.

Alright now, CPU wise. AMD is cheaper yet again, and ofcourse gets beat by intel in alot of stuff and vice versa.

My opinion though, is get AMD if you game and don't do much of anything else, or get intel if you do alot of everything (gaming, video editing, photo editing, etc)

Revellan7

Revellan7

Advanced Member

• 56 posts
  • LocationColorado
And with AMD processors, they have all the way up to an eight core (which is pretty snazzy), but would that be what I would want for gaming? Seems to be built for multiprocessing.

How is it that Intel is better at multiprocessing then? In my small mind, more cores means more possible simultaneous tasks.

Thanks for helping me out psycho

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostRevellan7, on 09 January 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

And with AMD processors, they have all the way up to an eight core (which is pretty snazzy), but would that be what I would want for gaming? Seems to be built for multiprocessing.

How is it that Intel is better at multiprocessing then? In my small mind, more cores means more possible simultaneous tasks.

Thanks for helping me out psycho
The problem with that many cores is that alot of programs wont even ultilize them all or they do but its not handled properly.

In the case where a program is coded to know how to use all 8 cores, AMD can for the most part match up with the i5 and i7 processors.

Revellan7

Revellan7

Advanced Member

• 56 posts
  • LocationColorado
So would bf4 be one of those programs? In either case how would you tell?

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ
Posted Image
here it looks like 8 cores has no real advantage over an Intel quad core. But most of those CPUs get the same FPS, so really it doesn't matter.

Revellan7

Revellan7

Advanced Member

• 56 posts
  • LocationColorado
Alright, I appreciate you filling me in. Having to play catchup, been a few years.

TheChimpa

TheChimpa

MOFO-Monkey Official Foreign Officer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationLimey Land
The biggest thing really is personal preference. I'm a fan of nvidia cards, I tried radeon once the card I had was the biggest piece of shite I've ever laid my hands on. Never used an AMD CPU but there must be a reason why they're so much cheaper than Intel so i avoid them for that reason + look at the chart intel all give the best fps here
Core i5 3570k 3.6GHz || ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II x 2 || Gigabyte z77-d3h || G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2111 || 256GB Samsung SSD PRO || 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD || 1TB HDD || Creative Sound Blaster ZX || Cooler Master Vanguard 1000W PSU || NZXT Phantom 410 || BenQ XL2411T 144hz Monitor || Windows 7 64-bit ||

NLKornolio

NLKornolio

Advanced Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHolland
There both good and both had problems with drivers in the past. Intell is the bigger company but cant live without AMD because else they have a monopoly what isnt allowed.
Intell have bigger resources ao they get new releases in a quicker rate. My 2 cents on tgis is they only want to get the top prices out off their customers so they just upgrade for the money.

Jyst think do you want to pay 200 or more extra for maby 3 fps
Posted Image

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

Everybodies favorite furry

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!
Just get anything through NVIDIA gtx760ti-gtx780ti with an Intel 1155 i7 processor, as for manufacturer I myself am a ASUS fangirl but EVGA is also a fave for a lot of people.

Also just ask Delta about AMD support, he was a huge AMD fan then he had to deal with their bs and now he has 4 NVIDA Titans...

- "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

Revellan7

Revellan7

Advanced Member

• 56 posts
  • LocationColorado
What's the big difference between the i5 and i7? Besides a hundred bucks haha.

Thanks for all the input.

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostRevellan7, on 10 January 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

What's the big difference between the i5 and i7? Besides a hundred bucks haha.

Thanks for all the input.
Afaik The only difference is the i7 has something called hyperthreading, which is basically the addition of 4 extra cores that don't really exist, I don't know the exact details or how to word it better but hyperthreading helps quite a bit with Video and Photo Rendering.

Revellan7

Revellan7

Advanced Member

• 56 posts
  • LocationColorado
Thanks again psycho, been a huge help.

780ti... holy hell they be pricey.

Although you save a few bucks if you go with Asus.

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!
The ASUS RoG line of DirectCU II gpu's are also the best, fully custom PCB with very high rated parts such as capacitors etc with awesome heatsinks.
- "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostKitsuni, on 10 January 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

The ASUS RoG line of DirectCU II gpu's are also the best, fully custom PCB with very high rated parts such as capacitors etc with awesome heatsinks.
And with all those bells and whistles comes with more room needed. Doesn't that card take up 3 or 4 slots?

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!
Nope, most of them are the normal 2 slot cards. some of the older ones are 3 slots but they've stopped going to that for the most part.

Revellan7

Revellan7

Advanced Member

• 56 posts
  • LocationColorado
The rog laptops are redonk, have to look up the graphics cards

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostRevellan7, on 11 January 2014 - 01:11 AM, said:

The rog laptops are redonk, have to look up the graphics cards
I agree, my dad had one and it was so damn loud, on top of that it constantly crashed and eventually part of the motherboard fried.

Revellan7

Revellan7

Advanced Member

• 56 posts
  • LocationColorado
That's actually what i've been playing bf4 on, and the big bastard plays it pretty good. And it definitely starts howling if i have too much going on, no crashes yet though. Just have to use it for work currently, so it's time to bring the desktop back up to standards.

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostRevellan7, on 11 January 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

That's actually what i've been playing bf4 on, and the big bastard plays it pretty good. And it definitely starts howling if i have too much going on, no crashes yet though. Just have to use it for work currently, so it's time to bring the desktop back up to standards.
It may just be a newer one than he had. My dad's laptop had a first gen i7 and a 5870M in it.

But I steer clear of them just because they STILL have the same design scheme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users