• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
So this doesn't technically i think fall under the mobo ram or hard drive category but i think its somewhat close to the hard drive discussion. so my question is i have heard from another LKG member that creating a bootable USB stick and using it on a USB 3.0 port could actually be faster than booting from an SSD and would be a good way to free up a lot of space on my SSD so that i could then install games onto it and then perhaps have better fps because of the faster load times of a games?? also would i then need to re install the drivers for everything if i ended up clearing my SSD and then just using the USB to boot from?
It doesn't matter who are, all that matters is our brew.

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ
I honestly don't think a USB3 flash drive would be faster than an SSD.

It's possible to install windows to one though.

Aiml3ssCalam1ty

Aiml3ssCalam1ty

Formerly known as randomkill

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas
USB 3.0 currently has a maximum transfer speed of 5Gbps where as SATA III has a maximum transfer rate of 6Gbps. However, USB is going to be updating to USB 3.1 which will be up to 10Gbps. (matching that of Current Thunderbolt specs, which Thunderbolt 2.0 will double its rate to a maximum of 20Gbps) -drooling

Although it's not just the connection to consider. The NAND, Controller, Firmware, and Connection are what allow SSD's to perform ridiculously well. A USB flash-drive's purpose isn't to run an operating system, of course it can though (I've been doing it with different Linux Distro's for quite a while) but you won't get the same quality and performance, generally speaking, when using a flash drive as you would with an SSD.

Now if you were using a SATA II drive or connection then your speed would only be 3Gbps and theoretically you would get faster performance with a USB 3.0 drive, but again it's dependent on the NAND and the other variables.

IF YOU WANT FASTER PERFORMANCE!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then you would want an SSD using a PCI-E interface as such-

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820785002

Of course there are faster drives than this, but this one is well priced.

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just remember that Intel and AMD CPU's support a specific number of PCI-E lanes and that things like onboard USB 3.0 and SATA ports use these lanes for there connections, that being said alot of boards use 3rd party controllers to power extra USB and SATA ports that won't use up your available PCI-E power. If you plan on using SLI/Crossfire this is especially important because if you purchase a board that can do PCI-E 3.0 16x16 with 2 GPU's that doesn't guarantee that will get that same bandwidth when using extra PCI-E cards because again, there are limited lanes available.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot ^_^

With the fps question, that would be a negative. You won't really see any frame-rate improvement when using a faster drive because the information that the game needs is already loaded, although as you've noticed with your SSD the loading times are much faster XD

NLKornolio

NLKornolio

Advanced Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationHolland
USB is not recommended for a Windows install. It probaly cant handle the disk i/o from it even if it takes such speeds
Posted Image

Aiml3ssCalam1ty

Aiml3ssCalam1ty

Formerly known as randomkill

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

View PostNLKornolio, on 22 October 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

USB is not recommended for a Windows install. It probaly cant handle the disk i/o from it even if it takes such speeds

Although you'd definitely want to ask Microsoft, a flashdrive can handle it, although I'm sure there is a Specified Vendor list. The main issue I'm concerned about is drivers, and how the OS will handle operation requests from another drive and whether it is preferred to use legacy or AHCI (I'd assume AHCI). Nor would you want to just install regular Windows 7 or 8, rather for Win7 you would use "Windows Embedded 7" and for Win8 you'd use "Windows To Go" that comes with the Enterprise version of Windows. I haven't really kept up too much about these 2 options since I don't have an inherent need for them, so I have no idea what their limitations and capabilities are that differ from their normal counterparts nor whether certain parameters must be met in order to use them as intended. Definitely something I'll have to ask Microsoft about for future reference. ^_^

DoctorBadass

DoctorBadass

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWhispering Pines, NC
In all honesty with the performance from an SSD compared to USB3 there is no reason to boot via USB; It can be quite troublesome and we are not sure how it would react to boot off of itself, knowing that drivers and the such have to be installed. So with that being said, either get a really small and fast SSD to use specifically for booting, then have the other SSD and HDD's used for space.

HDD = Video Gameplay, Photos
SSD2 = Games, Programs, etc
SSD1 = Boot only

That config I use to use but with other HDD's of varying speed.
Bike Collection:
- 1986 Kawasaki ZX1000R
- 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
sounds good doctor that what i think im gonna do just need to pick up another SSD
It doesn't matter who are, all that matters is our brew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users