PC Keeps freezing. Possibly a dying HDD (?)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ
So I decided to reinstall windows last tuesday because things were going a bit slow and etc (It's a long story so I won't explain).

Now though, after it's on atleast half the day, It will decide to completely freeze. Hard drive light is off, mouse cursor is froze, and any music playing while it freezes will sound loop.

Can't just restart it either. After restarting and logging back on, 10 minutes later it will freeze again. Not completely, but the mouse cursor will freeze every once in awhile if you try to do anything, I tried switching users (Ment to log off) but whent the display turned off (this is normal in my experience) it didn't turn back on. The onyl real way to stop the freezing for awhile is shutting the PC off via PSU switch for awhile, then cutting everything back on.

At this point, I dunno what to do. Already replace one hard drive thinking it was the main problem and it turns out it was mostly, but this bullshit is still happening. Any Ideas?

MotherMan

MotherMan

Yo-Yo Yolo Club President

• Founder
  • 1,462 posts
  • Battlelog:http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/MotherManX/
  • LocationNew York, New York
sounds like an issue with system.32 :P wish i could help
Posted Image

NLKornolio

NLKornolio

Advanced Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationHolland
First start in safe mode and look if your experience the same problems. If its not its software based. Probably not. When its not a software you have to pinpoint the faulthy piece of hardware. Get all hardware out except of the mobo, psu, 1 ram bit and maby gpu depends on if you have one onboard and try to add different pieces to see if you can reproduce it. Post your setup, look in event viewer are you getting bsod or only freeze ?
Posted Image

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostNLKornolio, on 01 September 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

First start in safe mode and look if your experience the same problems. If its not its software based. Probably not. When its not a software you have to pinpoint the faulthy piece of hardware. Get all hardware out except of the mobo, psu, 1 ram bit and maby gpu depends on if you have one onboard and try to add different pieces to see if you can reproduce it. Post your setup, look in event viewer are you getting bsod or only freeze ?
It's just a freeze, no BSOD is present.

Also yeah, I should have posted my specs.

CPU:

AMD Phenom II 960T (Unlocked) @ 3.5 Ghz (Changing it to stock does not resolve the issue)

GPU:

EVGA GTX 560 2GB SuperClocked Edition

Monitor:

Samsung Syncmaster T190 19" (1440x900)

Headset:

Steelseries Siberia V2 Special Edition Blue

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

HDD1:

Western Digital 500 GB 7200 RPM

HDD2:

Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM

RAM:

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600

Speakers:

Logitech X-140

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

Case:

Cooler Master 310 Elite

Mouse:

Logitech G400

Keyboard:

Logitech G105

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ
So get this.

I lowered the voltage on my CPU down a notch, and the freeze happened faster. I then went back into the bios and bumped it up. Now the freezing still occurs, but it's not "Permanent", It freezes still but it only last for a few seconds.

I Always thought that if you had the voltage too high or low your PC would just bluescreen. Guess I was wrong.

I'll continue to check to see if this is indeed 100% the cause of the freezes.

NLKornolio

NLKornolio

Advanced Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationHolland
Try a RAM test and HDD test and see what happens with no overclock on CPU.
Posted Image

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostNLKornolio, on 01 September 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Try a RAM test and HDD test and see what happens with no overclock on CPU.
I'll do one with and without the overclock just for the fun of it.

On a side note, I haven't had any freezes lately, and It's been about 4 hours.

NLKornolio

NLKornolio

Advanced Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationHolland
If hardware test are alrigth. Maby repair installation Windows or do fresh install. Safe mode has te same problems ?
Posted Image

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostNLKornolio, on 02 September 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

If hardware test are alrigth. Maby repair installation Windows or do fresh install. Safe mode has te same problems ?
Afaik I think everything is in working order now. I'll go into more detail later.

jpcrash

jpcrash

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA
I was going to suggest RAM and RAM timing but it was lightly mentioned above. My roommate had a bad board when something similar occurred, specifically at the RAM slots.

I don't overclock. I probably have more PC then I really need and since I don't max out on CPU processing and don't have lag issues, I don't see the need. I keep everything stock levels for reliability. For all the headaches I had in the past with overclocking and issues people have with it, I just keep everything right out of the box stock. I think the only thing I changed up was some software settings on my SSD.
i5 something, bought it at frys. Asus motherboard. 32 gigs ram. 500GB Samsung SD, a few other large hard drives. 4 monitors and logitech wireless headset that rocks. Plain ol keyboard and mouse. More computer than I know what to do with. Oh ya, some awesome video card that was $500 or something. I was told I could play pretty much any game on hi res with it.

Mr10dans

Mr10dans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationBeverly, Ma
Warmer weather will show electronics problems that were not there when cool. I would suspect the PSU as it has a long thermal time constant-time to reach temperature much longer than any IC that gets to operating temperature in seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users