• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ
Don't bother watching the video, the download comes with pretty clear instructions on how to do this shit, and believe me, it is beyond worth it. Your Bullets register much faster and bullets that hit you register slower. I don't consider this a hack in any way but if other people think otherwise then I dunno.

MotherMan

MotherMan

Yo-Yo Yolo Club President

• Founder
  • 1,462 posts
  • Battlelog:http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/MotherManX/
  • LocationNew York, New York
Not sure how this software works, and maybe if I did my opinion would be different, but I don't think it should be allowed. It is an external gameplay improvement, that although available to everyone, not everyone will have.
Posted Image

jonnynguyen2

jonnynguyen2

Resident Crazy Bastard

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North Eh!
more info....

http://battlelog.bat...54348408092934/
Posted Image

MotherMan

MotherMan

Yo-Yo Yolo Club President

• Founder
  • 1,462 posts
  • Battlelog:http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/MotherManX/
  • LocationNew York, New York
So it is more of a PC adjustment then a gameplay one. Sounds ok to me now based on description, except why would the mods hide the innitial post? is this something they don't want players using?
Posted Image

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

Everybodies favorite furry

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!
Since it deals with the TCP/IP and MTU settings on your computer and nothing on BF3 there should be absolutely no problem, BUT the TCP/IP settings it changes, at least on my computer, are either set it by default or one in particular is not supported by my CPU (Direct Cache Access <DCA>).

Though the one setting I have found that's would be worth changing is "
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp".

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-set-and-change-mtu-in-windows-7-or-vista/

I personally set my MTU to 650 (ipv4) and 1300 (ipv6) to test out. I'll post more later if I notice any difference with my net performance in general and in game play.
- "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostMotherMan, on 06 August 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

So it is more of a PC adjustment then a gameplay one. Sounds ok to me now based on description, except why would the mods hide the innitial post? is this something they don't want players using?
I'm not sure what the deal was with that, but it is indeed a PC adjustment and like I said in my post. The video doesn't show the way it's done anymore. Now you have something called TCPOptimizer in the folder you download along with a .reg file and a batch file that needs to be run everytime you start windows.

Plus, I don't see whats so bad about fixing what they should have fixed years ago. Lazy bastards.

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!
Also I downloaded the file in that videos description it contains a few files but the main program in it is TCP Optimizer, it helps by making the changes a lot easier. Here is a direct link if you want to try it.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Edit: I made this before I read your post psycho... =P
- "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostKitsuni, on 06 August 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Also I downloaded the file in that videos description it contains a few files but the main program in it is TCP Optimizer, it helps by making the changes a lot easier. Here is a direct link if you want to try it.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Edit: I made this before I read your post psycho... =P
I figured, but yeah this does more than just make BF3 a better experience, I've noticed how web pages seem to load faster and youtube videos don't get stuck at one point as much.

Zutroy_II

Zutroy_II

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCanada
Nothing to ban. This is simply tuning network params to (attempt) to lower latency. It'd be like running a server where you ban anyone running better than 30fps. ;)

Now, there's no silver bullet here because everyone's circumstances are different. Lowering MTU can improve packet delivery as fewer routers will reject/drop, but too low and the overhead will kill your bandwdith speed, and have negative effects on everyone in your house. If you have a PPPoE (DSL) connection you're already lower by necessity. A bigger window can be great because there's less ack/synack overhead, but if you lose packets the effect is that much worse. Some of this stuff is turned off because there is not wide support and the default config covers the most users. The more reliable your connection is, the less some of this stuff will matter anyways.

The things from that list I can recommend as 'probably will make a positive difference' if you can support them are compound TCP, RSS, and NetDMA.

Another biggie is: tune your router. Run QoS settings so someone else in the house torrenting/netflix etc isn't swamping the line. If you're over wireless make sure you / the router are positioned right so you get a clean signal. Don't overlap channels with your neighbors. It's almost certainly passive cooled, so make sure it's not overheating and resetting all the time. Microwave ovens scream noise in the same spectrum as most routers so if you're near your kitchen you can see a huge latency spike / complete drop while they're running.

Zutroy_II

Zutroy_II

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCanada
Something simple I can't believe I forgot: Just about all of these tweaks are TCP, but most of the game traffic is through UDP. None of the TCP tweaks apply :)

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostZutroy_II, on 08 August 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Something simple I can't believe I forgot: Just about all of these tweaks are TCP, but most of the game traffic is through UDP. None of the TCP tweaks apply :)
Since you seem more educated than me on the subject, Imma ask a question.

If game traffic went through TCP, would we have better hitreg? Even without these fixes?

Kinsata

Kinsata

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationFrench Settlement, LA
Read the posts, and checked the link to the battlelog thread, but asking for clarity:

Is this 100% allowed?
Those who believe in nothing, have nothing to defend.

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostKinsata, on 09 August 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

Read the posts, and checked the link to the battlelog thread, but asking for clarity:

Is this 100% allowed?
Yes.

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!

View PostKinsata, on 09 August 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

Is this 100% allowed?
It does NOT modify the game at all, it changes the way your computer interacts with the internet. So yes it's allowed. And it effects more then just the game, you might see load times change in webpages, ect.

Kinsata

Kinsata

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationFrench Settlement, LA
Good deal. Thanks everyone. :D
Those who believe in nothing, have nothing to defend.

Zutroy_II

Zutroy_II

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCanada

View PostPsycho29388, on 08 August 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

Since you seem more educated than me on the subject, Imma ask a question.

If game traffic went through TCP, would we have better hitreg? Even without these fixes?

As a rule; no. The easiest difference to explain between TCP and UDP is TCP is designed to guarantee two things: 1. Retransmission of lost packets, which is necessary for 2. Assurance that packets arrive in order.

With TCP, if packets arrive out of order, they are buffered until the earlier packets arrive. So let's say I transmit a message to you taking up 3 packets numbered p1, p2, p3. For whatever mysterious reason p2 and p3 arrive before t. p1 and p2 will not be passed along up the network stack to the application layer until p1 arrives. If it doesn't arrive in a certain amount of time, you know something happened, and you send me a message asking for p1 to be resent. All this time you're sitting there waiting for all the ducks to get in a row, your application receives NOTHING.

UDP ignores order; information is passed along in the order it arrives. It's up to the layer above to encode ordering information in the payload if it's necessary. This means even if I shot later than you, if my bullet arrives at the server sooner, I win, because the protocol doesn't enforce order. It's one of the reasons UDP is faster for sending small messages; there's less overhead to assure delivery, traded off for the increased chance that your message gets lost.

So with UDP, what happen's to out of order information? Well, in most games where reaction time is everything, the information just gets thrown out, because the server is in the future and that information doesn't apply anymore. It doesn't apply because the server has already done work updating its snapshot of what the game world looks like. As a general rule, going back in time and rerunning the simulation is not feasible for shooters.

(btw That's what network smoothing is for in bf3; your client is filling in the gaps of lost information like a cartoonist filling the animation between keyframes)

Aiml3ssCalam1ty

Aiml3ssCalam1ty

Formerly known as randomkill

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

View PostZutroy_II, on 10 August 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

"As a rule; no. The easiest difference................................. filling the animation between keyframes)"

Very well-explained ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users