• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
Okay so I know you guys think that the gtx titan is a waste of money for the performance, so what about the radeon HD 7990 I have an AMD CPU so would I see better results with this card over getting the NVIDIA card?
It doesn't matter who are, all that matters is our brew.

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

Everybodies favorite furry

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!
You had to make a new thread for this? =P And the answer is no, you wouldn't see any tangible performance boost just because they're made from the same company.
- "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View PostKitsuni, on 01 July 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

You had to make a new thread for this? =P And the answer is no, you wouldn't see any tangible performance boost just because they're made from the same company.
Yep.

Since I know you're running a 1920x1080 monitor. It would be best just to get something like a GTX 760 for an upgrade. Those are less than $300 and will do excellent in any game at that resolution.

Aiml3ssCalam1ty

Aiml3ssCalam1ty

Formerly known as randomkill

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas
2x GTX 760's in SLI would cost $500USD and will out perform a single GTX780 at $650USD- Of course that is in games that take advantage of dual GPU's but nowadays all major games do... 2 way SLI scales beautifully and in many games it literally doubles your frame-rate. 3way and 4way SLI on the other hand scale horribly and aren't worth money by any means unless you have money to blow for the look of 4 GPUs in your case.

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
The only problem with the sli would be that I have ab AMD processor guys lol so I would have to do crossfire lol and I also don't think my mother board supports crossfire for some reason even though I have 2 pcie 16 ports on it lol

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View Postpowpowdreamz, on 01 July 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

The only problem with the sli would be that I have ab AMD processor guys lol so I would have to do crossfire lol and I also don't think my mother board supports crossfire for some reason even though I have 2 pcie 16 ports on it lol
Where are you getting your info from?

It doesn't matter if you have an AMD CPU or not, you can do either crossfire or SLI if you want to. However, Your processor may not be up to par with having 2 GTX 760s in SLI and it may be a bottleneck.

The "Crossfire ready" or "SLI ready" stuff is pretty much bollocks as well. if you have 2x PCIE slots that have significant bandwidth then you can use it just fine.

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!
Also the performance of 760 sli "might" be slightly more than a single 780 but 780 down the line you always have the choice of getting a second and making it much more powerful. IMO go with 780, you'll be happy you did.
- "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
Alright I have an AMD 4.0ghz vishera octo core processor so I shouldn't ha e bottle neck but ill need to check on my pcie bandwidth what would be the minimum? Or recommended?

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View Postpowpowdreamz, on 01 July 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Alright I have an AMD 4.0ghz vishera octo core processor so I shouldn't ha e bottle neck but ill need to check on my pcie bandwidth what would be the minimum? Or recommended?
Well, 16x is ideal. If your gonna crossfire or SLi though then 16x and 4x is fine. Most motherboards only support 8x/8x crossfire/SLI afaik.

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
Well I just looked at my motherboard on their website and it said the pcie interface is 16x on both slots and supports xfire or sli

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
Okay now assuming crossfire would work and everything and if money is no issue what about just buying 2 780s and xfire right from the beginning how would the performance increase be with that? I don't mind spending a lot I just don't wanna have to upgrade again for awhile and to be able to play all games on ultra settings easily

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View Postpowpowdreamz, on 01 July 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Okay now assuming crossfire would work and everything and if money is no issue what about just buying 2 780s and xfire right from the beginning how would the performance increase be with that? I don't mind spending a lot I just don't wanna have to upgrade again for awhile and to be able to play all games on ultra settings easily
First off, I would just go with one GTX 780. SLI can be a hassle with games at times and you have the possibilies of micro stuttering.
Plus, like I said before, you're running a pretty average resolution, unless you upgrade to a 2560x1440 monitor or a triple monitor setup it's wasted money on two cards.

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
alright i just wanna make sure and get down to the nitty gritty on everything and weigh everything out before i decide to buy something and then have to go and get another card or something i dont wanna be buy new stuff like i said in an earlier post for a long time to put it simply lol. last question if the 780 is the card to get right now, then which version would be the best, the standard version, the superclocked version, or the acx version with the superclock and the advance cooling on it???

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View Postpowpowdreamz, on 02 July 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

alright i just wanna make sure and get down to the nitty gritty on everything and weigh everything out before i decide to buy something and then have to go and get another card or something i dont wanna be buy new stuff like i said in an earlier post for a long time to put it simply lol. last question if the 780 is the card to get right now, then which version would be the best, the standard version, the superclocked version, or the acx version with the superclock and the advance cooling on it???
I looked at them and tbh the ACX card looks like the best choice. It's out of stock on newegg but if you can get it somewhere else then go for it.

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
yeah thats what i was thinking as well and yeah its pretty much out of stock lol, but oh i also just look at my motherboard specs again and i can not sli or xfire, one channel runs at x16, then the other is x4, that said should i upgrade my motherboard as well and get a board that can indeed crossfire in the future if i decide to do so?, also the pci express slots are pcie 2.0? and the slots on the motherboard i am looking at pcie 3.0 and i sure the 780 is pcie 3.0, so how much of a difference would that make in the performance of the card?

Psycho29388

Psycho29388

Advanced Member

• Head Admin
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationThe InternetZ

View Postpowpowdreamz, on 02 July 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

yeah thats what i was thinking as well and yeah its pretty much out of stock lol, but oh i also just look at my motherboard specs again and i can not sli or xfire, one channel runs at x16, then the other is x4, that said should i upgrade my motherboard as well and get a board that can indeed crossfire in the future if i decide to do so?, also the pci express slots are pcie 2.0? and the slots on the motherboard i am looking at pcie 3.0 and i sure the 780 is pcie 3.0, so how much of a difference would that make in the performance of the card?
1. You can still crossfire or SLI even if the other PCIE slot is just 4x. You may get a slight decrease in performance but it will still work.
2. PCIE 2.0 and 3.0 in terms of GFX doesn't make a difference since the newer cards don't even use the bandwith it provides.

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
Alright cool so 2.0 or 3.9 doesn't really matter, but if I I don't want that performance loss on the x4 slot it might be better to get both slots at x16 right? And also I notice when I attempted a crossfire before with 2 AMD cards but it was kind of lame with the drivers so I am kind of against doing another crossfire, so what do you about the reliability and easy of using an sli setup as far as drivers and the support goes?

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!
You can't have sli/crossfire both on 16x. It usually goes, 16x (single), 8x by 8x (dual), 16x by 8x by 8x (triple), and I think 4way is 16x by 8x by 8x by 8x, but I could be wrong on that one. And I'm not sure but I don't think you'd see much if any performance drop. BTW I can't remember if you ever said what your Mobo was, please tell or link it.

powpowdreamz

powpowdreamz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
My mini is a gigabyte 970 ud3 AMD am3+ mobo, so I think I might go for a sli with 2 gtx 680 4gb 256bit cards what so you guys think about that?

Kitsuni

Kitsuni

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTeH Moon~!
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#ov ?

Also:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users